Pure Enough To Give

Pure Enough To Give
by Matthew Havertz

Oh Lord, I thought of giving Thee a song

But no choir or orchestra or earthly tongue can compare
To the beautiful choirs of angels with their notes ringing through the air

Lord, Savior, I thought Thou deserved to have a beautiful painting
But then I looked out at the Sun setting in the sky 
And realized Thou hast already painted this beautiful world and I began to cry

Thou hast built this world with Love for me to borrow
A place for me to learn, to become, to be happy and to sorrow

Lord, Master, could I build Thee a temple?
A temple reaching to the sky, made from the most wonderful stone?
Oh, but nothing can compare to the mansion Thou built in Heaven for me to roam

Lord, is there anything I could give Thee?
Thou hast given me existence
Oh, but no talent I possess is mine without Thine assistance

Is really the only thing I can offer Thee, my heart?
It seems so small. It's not even a start!

Thou hast given me this world
And a place for me above
And all Thou wants from me are my choices and my love

Oh I will give it Thee!

Please help me cleanse it
So it will be pure enough to give!

End


This poem was written on Christmas Eve Day when I was a missionary in West Virginia. I was right on the boarder of West Virginia and Virginia in a small town called Bluefield. If I remember right, it kind of just came out during my personal study that morning. It was the second and last Christmas I had as a missionary, so I shared the poem with my mission president and my family as a Christmas present.


I have thought a lot about this concept lately. The only thing we truly have, the only thing that really belongs to us is our choices. The choices that we make is only evidence of our unseen motives, desires, and intentions. The heart is the poetic metaphor for the unseen motives inside. Furthermore, the choices that we make refine our hearts even further going on in a never-ending circle until one day our hearts will be pure. However, we make sinful, dirty choices as well, so the only way to obtain a pure heart is through the cleansing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.


I know this is true and pray for a pure heart. Whenever I'm around someone's who's motives are pure, I feel warm. I feel loved. I feel peace. I would give everything to spend eternity with those who's hearts are pure.

Comments