Why I Created This Blog

I believe that self-reflection is important. I have been a consistent and dedicated journal keeper for years. My first real journal was started when I was eight years-old. Later in my journals I included my goals, aspirations, thoughts, and self-reflection as well as what was happening to me.

I served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and continued to keep a journal. Before my mission I would write once a week or a couple of times a month. Over those two years as a missionary I slowly began to write in my journal every night. As I began to write more frequently, my journal entries became more about recording what I was grateful for that day and reporting on the days events. This is fantastic and is what I have continued to do, but I currently don't use my journal for as much pondering and self-reflection as I used to. So, above all else this blog is for myself. It's a place for me to articulate what is happening inside my mind and my heart. It's a place for me to think through my problems.

However, if that's all this blog was for then I would not have created it. My personal, private journal (which is also on a blog) could just as easily be used for both kinds of writing. The second reason I created this blog was to share what I was thinking with anyone interested in reading. Sometimes there are ideas too good to keep to myself and I really want them to be written down somewhere so I can pull them out and share them whenever the moment comes. I don't want or expect many people to read or follow this, but there are moments where my experiences, and what I have thought through in my head, may come in handy to someone else. The second benefit to having an audience is that my writing becomes refined. Knowing that someone else could read what I'm writing stops me from getting too sloppy.

The third reason that I created this blog was as an incentive for me to develop and enhance a better scripture study routine. To me the "scriptures" are the writings that guide my personal decisions. The scriptures, along with the Holy Spirit, are part of the moral compass that points me to God. The scriptures to me include the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and the words of the modern Prophets and Apostles. I hope this blog will help me to continue on a path closer towards God.

The icing on the cake was my friend Karl's blog. Karl Southwick is one of the best people I know. He recently returned as a missionary himself. He went to Brazil. He posted a poem on his blog recently called, Those Hands. His blog is called, "Deeper Meaning." I think Karl is a great writer and I enjoy reading his poems and analogies. A lot of things he has said or written has touched and inspired me.

Ultimately, all inspiration and everything good, comes from God. I acknowledge that anything truly good on this blog; anything that lifts, inspires, edifies, strengthens, or draws you closer to Christ is not really mine. It's His!

At the same time, I take full responsibly for everything on this blog. In no way am I representing or claiming to represent an official stance of any organization.

Finally, I acknowledge that there are many that will not share my opinions.There are many that will believe differently than I do. There will many that will flat out disagree. I would like to invite those of you who do not see things from my perspective to respectfully and kindly share your opinion in a comment below any of the posts. I believe all of us are strengthened by learning from each other. I believe that everyone should have the freedom and ability to believe as they wish and to share those beliefs with others, so please afford me same.

Comments