A Poem I Wrote On My Mission

This is a poem I wrote on my mission. I wrote it for it for two reasons. One, I felt like there were not enough poems (or songs for that matter) referencing the Book of Mormon. Two, I loved singing "Called to Serve" and I wanted to write something describing how I felt about missionary work; and my heart was full. I loved being a missionary! I wrote this while cleaning a small church building in Kentucky and would stop every five minutes or so to write the next line I had come up with.

The verse referencing temples ("the houses of the Lord") was written last. As I was completing the poem, I wanted to correct the false notion that we like to try and keep people out of the temple. The opposite is actually true! We want everyone qualify for the blessings of the temple!


With Love We Must Prepare to Share


Our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ, once lived among His fold.
And chose twelve men to witness of His word and truths untold.
"Other sheep not of this flock," He boldly did declare.
Then went He to walk and talk among the Nephites there.
How glorious this news we bear. With love we must prepare to share.

Not only did the Christ appear to those of ancient times,
This modern day He chose a seer. Lost light around us shines.
Joseph Smith, young, humble boy saw Father and the Son.
Satan tried his tongue to bind, but triumphant Joseph won.
How glorious this news we bear. With love we must prepare to share.

Into the houses of the Lord, invited guests we go.
Abundantly His Spirit poured. Oh how our hearts will grow.
Selfishly oh will we keep these blessings to ourselves.
Or, more the blessings will be reap by spreading out His wealth?
How glorious this news we bear. With love we must prepare to share.

The people here we are to serve, to love with heart and might.
When we are in the service of our friends, our God delights.
It is a joy to do God's will; the Spirit's voice to heed.
Tidings glad to spread abroad; all of His sheep to feed.
How glorious this news we bear. With love we must prepare to share.

End.

Have you written any poems about missionary work? Have you written any poems about the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith? Share them in the comments below. Or, just tell me what you think.

Comments