Positive Music

Music is extremely powerful and influential in our lives. You already know that, so what music do you listen to? (Really, I would love to read your comments below).

Have you ever tried changing your music? I have. For two years, on my mission, I only listened to religious or instrumental music. One of those years I only listened Mormon Tabernacle Choir (note: that is the former name of the choir; since this post, the name as changed to the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square). Every once and while I go into a classical phase and just listen to that. However, let's be honest, sometimes what we consider "positive" can start sounding boring and even sad or depressing after a while. If you are like me, you need to change things up; however, you don't want to turn on the radio because you don't like the lyrics you hear.

I'm sure that you have some music that you like (and please tell me about it!), but I also wanted to share some music I like. First off, let me mention two radio stations I like. K-Love and Air1 are two Christian radio stations I really love listening to. Both feature very upbeat music with positive music centered around Christian values. And, yes, they are actual radio stations that you can tune into (even here in Utah). There are also apps you can download so you can listen from your phone.

Also, I have absolutely fallen in love with another group. They have two albums out so far. They are called, "The Gray Havens." Yes, that is based on a Lord of the Rings reference. Some of their songs are inspired by The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. All of their songs are inspiring.



One of the things that I love most about their songs are their highly metaphorical and story driven lyrics. The lyrics are intelligent and thought provoking and leave you to come to a conclusion yourself; with that being said, every song is full of purpose and meaning. I also love their sound. It's unique. Everything from the vocals to the instrumentation are different than what you've heard over and over again. They have a somewhat blue grass, folky sound, but even that doesn't describe it. I also love their use of percussion. Their songs have a very clearly defined beat that is never overpowering and they use symbols (suspended rolls as well as crash), glockenspiels, and tambourines in a classy way. I love their use of percussion instruments.

Here is another video that gives you a better taste of who they are. Please consider supporting this group! They are worth it. Once you give their songs a listen, you won't want to stop listening (at least I didn't). Hey, and if enough of my friends here in Utah like them, then maybe we convince them to come here to Salt Lake City sometime.

Comments

  1. Wow! This is great! I like the story driven lyrics. They did a great job on the video editing, too. I like several different groups that I've listened to for a while. I like the New Age sound of Yanni, Galdalf, and Medwyn Goodall. I also enjoy classic piano by Yiruma (A River Flows in You is awesome) . Let me know what you think. Thanks for the great topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ryan!!

      You are awesome! I love your musical choices. I have a lot of Yanni on my relaxing play list. I actually introduced Melissa to a lot Yanni songs. I also really like "A River Flows in You." I have not heard Galdalf and Goodall, but I will now need to look them up!

      As for the music video, I agree it is good editing. I really like this song from them as well. No video to go with it, but it's about the creation. If you take a listen think about what the symbols: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEccg81S2mQ

      You are a good example! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. *think about what the symbols mean . . . my mistake (typing fast).

      Delete

Post a Comment