Why I Believe In Traditional Marriage

"Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and . . . family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children."

This quote comes from The Family: A Proclamation to the World, a document put out by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am a member of Christ's Church and believe this with all my heart.
The Ogden Utah Temple

Besides the obvious biological reasons of procreation, I believe there are other reasons for marriage to be ordained of God between a man and a woman. Elder David A. Bednar, an Apostle of Jesus Christ in the Church, has said, "The unique combination of spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional capacities of both males and females was needed to enact the plan of happiness . . . The man and the woman are intended to learn from, strengthen, bless, and complete each other" (General Conference, October 2013).

I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I have seen it in my own marriage. Men and woman compliment one another. There is something special and unspoken about the unique capacities of a man and woman coming together in marriage to create something that no other combination can create. My wife and I don't have children yet, but I can imagine that our unique attributes will help us to be a better mother and father too.

Just yesterday my wife posted on her blog about our wedding. Click here to read the post.

Comments