The Award I Will Never Forget: How To Be A Real Hero

In the grand ballroom of a hotel in Salt Lake, I was waiting to accept my award. As a recent high school graduate, I was a bit uncomfortable. I did not know any of the well-dressed adults at the table. I was wearing a suit and tie. The tables were elegantly dressed as well: fancy table cloths, fine china, and more silverware than I was used to. 

A man at our table asked me why I was attending the Freedoms Foundation Award Banquet. “My high school club created a documentary about the Bear River Massacre,” I proudly explained. “Why are you here?”
“I helped to gather cultural nativities from around the world for a special collection,” he explained.
One by one, everyone at the table started to brag about their achievements. One woman at the table in her late twenties looked particularly interested in the stories. She seemed genuinely impressed.
Soon the food was delivered to our tables and the host of the event took the microphone, all before this woman got a chance to explain why she was at the banquet. The awards were then announced.
I don't remember most of the awards, but one still stands out. “We will now honor this year’s community hero. This woman saved the life of another … ” After the incredible introduction, the quiet, humble woman from our table stood and walked to the front of the room to accept her award. The entire crowd stood and applauded.
I honestly do not remember how this woman saved a life, but I will never forget her humility. Out of everyone at our table, she had the best reason to brag. Instead, she sat quietly,  genuinely listening to others.
Elder D. Todd Christofferson said, “Those who quietly and thoughtfully go about doing good offer a model of consecration” (October 2010 General Conference).
Do you have a story like this? I love collecting these kinds of stories, so please feel free to comment if you have any to share.
I love this song. I think it fits this topic well.

Comments